Saturday, May 12, 2018
corner of Rhode Island Ave. and Paterson St., Providence
We are teaming up with Blackstone Academy senior Heisha T. to bring you this easy, 1.5 mile, urban hike. This 45-acre gem right in the middle of Providence has many cool features and easy to follow trails that kids – and adults! – of all ages will enjoy. Heisha is co-leading this hike as part of her senior project.
- We will meet next at the trailhead just south of the playground at the corner of Rhode Island Avenue and Paterson Street.
- Please give yourself plenty of time to find parking and ready yourself for our hike.
- Wear long, light colored pants tucked into long socks as there may be ticks and poison ivy along the trails.
- Bring plenty of healthy, hearty snacks and water!
- Click here for more information about Blackstone Park, including directions.
- Click here for a list of guidelines for hiking with kids.
Also for this hike, an exciting opportunity!
You can earn 5,000 points at this hike through the Roger Williams Park Zoo’s Nature Swap. Participants in the program bring in natural “found” items to collect points for swapping with items in their collection. Each Nature Swap “Quest” allows participants to earn 5,000 bonus points in their accounts. Please bring a photo, drawing, or journal page from your hiking experience at Blackstone Park into the Nature Swap, which is open Fridays, 12-4 and Saturdays 10-2. This opportunity is made possible by a Nature Play Grant. For the fourth year in a row, the Roger Williams Park Zoo was one of the recipients of a Nature Play grant, which was developed by the Children & Nature Network (C&NN) and the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) through a special gift from the Disney Conservation Fund. This grant allows the Zoo to offer free nature based play experiences in various parks, playgrounds, preserves, and other properties that are off zoo grounds–but easy to get to! If transportation support is needed, please contact Samantha Polon at (401) 785-3510 x353 for information about FREE RIPTA bus passes.