Follow these simple steps to avoid ticks out on the trails.
Teach yourself and your family how to prevent tick bites!
- Clothing that’s been treated with the repellent Permethrin is the best deterrent.
- Repellents containing DEET that are applied to exposed skin are far less effective against ticks.
- Wear long, light colored pants tucked into long, white socks.
- Learn more at the website for the University of Rhode Island’s TickEncounter Resource Center.
Be sure to do a tick check every day!
- Do a tick check immediately upon completing a hike, and again when you return home.
- Visit www.tickencounter.org for more information on how to remove ticks safely.
- If you find a tick, be sure to take a picture and try to identify it. TickEncounter’s TickSpotters program will help confirm the tick identification and provide guidance for managing the tick bite and preventing future bites.